Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Sphenodon

Tuatara

October 2014

I was on a website in regards to endangered animals, and I came across a species that really grabbed my attention. The article that I found on the website was mainly about Tuatara's, which is a type of lizard. The article gave me information on the anatomy of the animal, also how they are in the wild and why they are endangered. Some things that I learned about the Tuatara is, The tuatara is a lizard-looking reptile that is believed to be one of the oldest species on Earth. There are two different tuatara species, the common tuatara, found only on Brother's Island off the coast of New Zealand in the Cook Strait. The Brother's Island tuatara population is less than 300. Tuatara's have been classified as an endangered species since 1895. You can't buy tuatara's because they are endangered  and there is controversy surrounding the fact that the number of tuatara's is decreasing with each year that comes by.

Northern Tuatara

Tuatara Eggs

Female Tuatara

No comments:

Post a Comment