Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Eublepharis Macularius

Leopard Gecko Care

September 2014


I chose this article because I have a love for Leopard Gecko's, and also they are beautiful reptiles. What I liked from the article I read was it gave me information about the gecko in depth. The article that I read, gave me information about taking care of the animal and there diet. What I liked about the article is, its's very descriptive and very informative. The article tells you the pros and cons of taking care of a gecko which is very helpful to beginner gecko owners. Questions I have regarding to this animal is, how many eggs does a female typically have and how long does it take for the eggs to hatch? I already own my own gecko but if I never had one I would definitely buy one, they're beautiful reptiles and they're very photogenic! The price range for these geckos vary from 14 to 200$ depending where you get them from. some websites are www.petsmart.com/ which leopard geckos are $14.99 another website is http://www.reptmart.com/ which is $19.99 plus shipping and handling. There is 23 different types of color morphs for this particular reptile. The cost for each morphs vary depending where you get them from. Leopard gecko aren't endangered at all, Leopard geckos are usually found in Afghanistan, Northwestern India, Pakistan, Iran, and lastly Iraq. Leopard gecko's aren't endangered, and there isn't any recent debate about leopard geckos being kept in captivity. You don't need a permit to take care of these creatures. The care requirements I will list down below.
Diablo Blanco Leopard Gecko

Nova Leopard Gecko

High Yellow Leopard Gecko

Red Striped Leopard Gecko




Care Requirements:

  • Housing: one or two adults will be comfortable in a 10-gallon aquarium, but 20 or 30 gallon is perfectly fine for your pets.
  • Substrate: Sand is the best bedding for your pet, using fine-grained sand (0.5mm or less) will be the best for them because anything couarse will harm your pet because the coarser sand can scratch their under bellies.
  • Heating: reptiles require a temperature gradient that will allow them to select the temperature that best suits their needs at that moment. Sometimes your leopard geckos will want to heat up, other times they will want to be cooler. The best way to heat your gecko enclosure is with an under-the-tank heater. It all depends.
  • Shelter: Leopard geckos are nocturnal, and in the wild they hide under rocks or other places during the day. Your pet would love it if you gave them something to hide during the day.
  • Food: I recommend crickets or meal worms, only feed them wax worms if they're under weight or sick. For water change the water every couple of days. Also, once in awhile you should consider dipping your pets food in calcium powder so they get there vitamins. 
  • Level of experience: Leopard geckos are intermediate level animal to keep, they aren't really hard, but they are not easy to take care of either. 
  • One thing that I personally love about this animal is how colorful they are and there eyes are just beautiful.












No comments:

Post a Comment